Our four day classroom based City & Guilds Confined Space Instructor course is designed to give learners the Confined Space theoretically and practical knowledge to train others up to High Risk.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at personnel who are competent confined space operators or trainers with confined space work experience who wish to train people in Confined Space Entry. The course encompasses training up to High Risk level.
- Relevant Health and Safety legislation and guidelines
- Safe systems of work
- Confined Space recognition
- Confined Spaces risk level classification
- Understanding the hazards associated with confined spaces and the impact on the procedure
- Awareness of dangers of Confined Space
- In-depth knowledge of Gas Detection Equipment, settings and startup
- Atmospheric Testing and Ventilation procedures
- Personal Protective Equipment Requirements for various Atmosphere’s
- The use of all standard Confined Space Equipment.
- Appropriate manning levels and individual roles and responsibilities
- Use of Escape Set and Self Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Prepare and use full working breathing apparatus in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications
- Access and Egress equipment including tripods and rope-based hauling systems
- Enter and exit Low, Medium and High-Risk confined spaces safely.
- Carry out a practical Risk Assessment, populate a permit to work and produce a Method Statement for safe entry into Confined Spaces.
- Selecting the correct Gas Detector for your Confined Space conditions
- Correct setting up Confined Space equipment for safe entry
- Gas Sampling considerations before entry into Confined Space
- How to carry out pre-entry testing and constant air monitoring
- Controlling entry into Confined Spaces
- Safety entry into Low, Medium and High Risk Confined Space
- How to work safely in Confined Spaces
- How to carry out a rescue from a Low Risk Confined Space
- How to carry out a self-rescue from a Medium Risk Confined Space
- Low, Medium and High-Risk Scenarios using Escape Set and Full Breathing Apparatus.
Certification & Assessment
Delegates who successfully complete the course will receive a City and Guilds certificate.
To be successful delegates must pass
- Written Assessment (50%)
- Practical Assessment (50%)
- Delegates must present a confined space course module
- Delegates must prepare and perform a simulated high risk confined space entry.
- Experience working as a safety trainer and/or holding a train the trainer qualification would be a distinct advantage.
- You will need to be physically fit and capable to access through 600mm openings, climb ladders and to move through crawl spaces.
- Ideally you will have experience of working in confined spaces and hold a Health & Safety Qualification.