HSA Guide to Risk Assessment says 'No matter what size your business is, you need to manage safety and health'
Good Health and Safety measures are a necessity for a business today, as an employer you are legally obliged to keep employees safe at any work activities.
The employer is responsible for preparing a safety statement and carrying out risk assessments for your business.
What is a risk assessment?
A risk assessment is a written document that records a three-step process:
- Identifying the hazards in the workplace(s) under your control.
- Assessing the risks presented by these hazards.
- Putting control measures in place to reduce the risk of these hazards causing harm.
Why should I prepare risk assessments and a safety statement?
- it's a law. Under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005
- it's good for a business. A safe and healthy workplace contributes to an efficient business.
- it the right thing to do. The consequences of a workplace injury or illness can be long lasting and devastating.